B-1 Business Visas Attorney
B-1 business visas are non-immigrant visas granted to individuals who are coming to the U.S. for a short period of time to conduct certain business-related activities that do not include working for payment from a U.S. company or source. In general, B-1 business visas are granted to individuals who plan to do any of the following in the U.S.:
- Meet and consult with colleagues or associates
- Attend or speak at a professional, scientific and/or educational conference, meeting and/or convention for a specific period of time (i.e., the conference, meeting or convention must have a set date)
- Conduct professional or scientific research
- Work out a settlement for an estate
- Negotiate a contract
- Survey sites for setting up a business
- Receive some type of short-term professional or vocational training.
While people who are seeking a B-1 business visa should apply for this visa as early as possible, in general, the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) recommends that individuals apply for these visas:
- At least 60 days before the planned date of travel
- At least 90 days before the planned travel date if the individual is coming to the U.S. to attend a scientific conference and/or the applicant has a scientific professional background.
Unlike with many other types of visas, B-1 business visas:
- Are not capped by the USCIS
- Do not have a dependent visa category; as a result, it’s not recommended that individuals take their families to the U.S. on these types of visas (as it is not generally appropriate to bring one’s family to business meetings or other business activities).
How to Get a B-1 Business Visa Application Started
In order to get the process of obtaining business visas started, applicants will have to file a Form I-94 with the USCIS. Because this form, as well as the process associated with obtaining a B-1 business visa, is usually very involved and complicated, applicants should work with an experienced immigration lawyer for the best chances of expediting the visa approval process.
The Los Angeles, California Immigration Lawyers at the Hanlon Law Group
At the Hanlon Law Group, P.C., our Los Angeles immigration attorneys have more than 15 years of experience successfully representing clients in various types of immigration cases, including those that involve the most basic immigration applications to those associated with extremely complicated federal court litigation. Our firm offers state-of-the art technology to deliver these services efficiently while also providing each of our clients with old-fashioned personal service. That means you can count on your case progressing as quickly as possible while feeling confident that your Hanlon Law Group lawyer will answer your questions quickly, clearly and honestly.
To learn more about our citizenship, immigration and deportation defense services contact our Los Angeles immigration attorneys today by calling (626) 765-4641 or (866) 489-7612 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the screen. From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.
We offer free, confidential initial consultations to provide potential clients with expert advice regarding their immigration law needs. Additionally, we are able to provide immigration legal services in various languages, including in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog and Fukienese.