At the Hanlon Law Group, P.C., our Los Angeles immigration attorneys have more than 15 years of experience successfully helping clients obtain B-1 business visas.
The T visa was created in October 2000 when Congress passed the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act (VTVPA) in order to aid law enforcement officials in their investigations of human trafficking crimes and to protect the victims in the process. Therefore, the purpose of the T visa is to protect victims of human trafficking and permit them to stay in the U.S. to help law enforcement officials prosecute the people who are responsible for committing human trafficking crimes.
Qualifications for T Visas
In order to qualify for T visas, applicants have to:
- Be victims of human trafficking crimes
- Be on U.S. soil or be in American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or at a U.S. port of entry as a result of human trafficking
- Agree to help U.S. law enforcement officials with their investigation and/or the prosecution of the offenders as long as the sought help is reasonable, the individual is at least 18 years old and/or the individual is not prohibited from providing the help due to some physical or psychological trauma
- Establish that removal from the U.S. would result in extreme hardship
- Be otherwise admissible to the U.S. (If the applicant is for some reason ineligible for entry into the U.S., he may have to submit a Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as a Nonimmigrant).
How to Get a T Visa Application Started
In order to get the process of obtaining T visas started, applicants will have to file a Form I-914 (Application for T Nonimmigrant Status) with the USCIS Vermont Service Center; T-1 visa applications are NOT accepted at U.S. embassies or overseas consulates. Because this form, as well as the process associated with obtaining a visa for victims of human trafficking, is usually very involved and complicated, applicants should work with an experienced immigration lawyer for the best chances of expediting the visa approval process.
The Los Angeles, California Immigration Lawyers at the Hanlon Law Group
At the Hanlon Law Group, P.C., our Los Angeles immigration attorneys have more than 15 years of experience successfully representing clients in various types of immigration cases, including those that involve the most basic immigration applications to those associated with extremely complicated federal court litigation. Our firm offers state-of-the art technology to deliver these services efficiently while also providing each of our clients with old-fashioned personal service. That means you can count on your case progressing as quickly as possible while feeling confident that your Hanlon Law Group lawyer will answer your questions quickly, clearly and honestly.
To learn more about our citizenship, immigration and deportation defense services contact our Los Angeles immigration attorneys today by calling (626) 765-4641 or (866) 489-7612 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the screen. From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.
We offer free, confidential initial consultations to provide potential clients with expert advice regarding their immigration law needs. Additionally, we are able to provide immigration legal services in various languages, including in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog and Fukienese.