Lawful permanent residence status signifies the legal authorization from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigrations Services (USCIS) to reside permanently in the U.S. as an immigrant. Such individuals may also be known as:
- Permanent Resident Aliens
- Resident Alien Permit Holders
- Green Card Holders
It’s essential to note that lawful permanent residents of the U.S. are not U.S. citizens. They must undergo a distinct process and pass an examination to achieve U.S. citizenship.
To be eligible for lawful permanent residence in the U.S., one must have:
- Family-based eligibility, where the applicant has family legally in the U.S. or a family member in the U.S. with a green card
- Employment-based eligibility, where the applicant is sponsored by a U.S.-based employer, presents a PERM labor certificate, and proves they’re filling a role unfillable by current U.S. citizens
- Asylum-based eligibility, where the applicant has received official asylum from an immigration court judge, and it’s been at least a year since asylum was granted.
Achieving lawful permanent residence status and a green card can be intricate. A single error, even with the best intentions, can lead to delays or outright denial of the application. Hence, it’s pivotal for applicants to collaborate with a seasoned immigration attorney who can:
- Accelerate the approval process
- Assist in appealing or reopening denied cases
- Advocate for applicants throughout the process
Los Angeles, California Immigration Attorney at Hanlon Law Group
At Hanlon Law Group, P.C., the immigration attorney in Los Angeles boasts over 15 years of experience in diverse immigration cases, from basic applications to intricate federal court litigations. The firm employs cutting-edge technology for efficient service delivery, ensuring personalized attention for every client. Rest assured, your case will progress swiftly, and any queries will be addressed promptly and transparently.
Contact for a Free Case Evaluation
Discover more about citizenship, immigration, and deportation defense services by contacting the Los Angeles immigration attorney today at (626) 765-4641 or (866) 489-7612. Alternatively, email using the form at the top right. Serving clients in Los Angeles, throughout California, and globally, initial consultations are free and confidential. Multilingual immigration services are available in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog, and Fukienese.