Lawful permanent residence status refers to having the legal permission from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigrations Services (USCIS) to permanently live in the U.S. as an immigrant. Individuals who have been granted this status may also be referred to as:
- Permanent Resident Aliens
- Resident Alien Permit Holders
- Green Card Holders.
It’s important to point out that lawful permanent residents of the U.S. are not considered to be citizens and that they have to complete a separate process and pass a test in order to obtain U.S. citizenship.
In order to qualify for lawful permanent residence in the U.S., an individual must have a(n):
- Family-based case, in which the applicant already has family legally residing in the U.S. or has a family member within the U.S. who already has a green card
- Employment-based case, in which the applicant is sponsored by an employer that is based in the U.S., the employer presents a PERM labor certificate and there is proof that the applicant is filling a position that could not otherwise be occupied by existing U.S. citizens
- A case that involves asylum, in which the applicant has been officially granted asylum from an immigration court judge and it has been at least one year since asylum was granted to the applicant.
The process of obtaining lawful permanent residence status and a green card can be extremely complicated, and one misstep – even if the applicant has the best of intentions in complying with all of the requirements of the USCIS – can result in significant delays or even a flat-out denial of the applicant’s petition. Therefore, it’s crucial that individuals who are seeking lawful permanent residence status work with experienced immigration attorneys who:
- Can expedite the approval process
- Help appeal or reopen cases that may have been denied
- Will advocate on behalf of applicants at every stage of the process.
The Los Angeles, California Immigration Lawyers at the Hanlon Law Group
At the Hanlon Law Group, P.C., our Los Angeles immigration attorneys have more than 15 years of experience successfully representing clients in various types of immigration cases, including those that involve the most basic immigration applications to those associated with extremely complicated federal court litigation. Our firm offers state-of-the art technology to deliver these services efficiently while also providing each of our clients with old-fashioned personal service. That means you can count on your case progressing as quickly as possible while feeling confident that your Hanlon Law Group lawyer will answer your questions quickly, clearly and honestly.
Contact Us for a Free Case Evaluation
To learn more about our citizenship, immigration and deportation defense services contact our Los Angeles immigration attorneys today by calling (626) 765-4641 or (866) 489-7612 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the screen. From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.
We offer free, confidential initial consultations to provide potential clients with expert advice regarding their immigration law needs. Additionally, we are able to provide immigration legal services in various languages, including in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog and Fukienese.