Individuals aiming to relocate permanently to the U.S. or those intending to visit temporarily must secure the appropriate visas before entering the country. With a myriad of visa types available, it’s crucial to apply for the right category. For expert guidance on visa and other immigration-related matters, reach out to the Los Angeles immigration attorney at Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

Immigrant Visas

For those seeking permanent legal resident status in the U.S. (commonly referred to as a green card), an immigrant visa application is necessary. The primary avenues to obtain this status are through family-based or employment-based immigration.

  • Family-based Immigration: U.S. citizens can sponsor immediate relatives, such as spouses, parents (if the citizen is over 21), and unmarried children under 21. There are no annual caps for these categories. Other relatives of citizens or permanent residents may also qualify but are subject to yearly visa caps. Financial support commitment from an eligible relative is often required for family-based visas.
  • Employment-based Immigration: Most applicants need job offers and employers willing to petition on their behalf. Exceptions exist for those with “extraordinary ability” in specific fields or those eligible for National Interest Waivers.

There’s also an Immigration through Investment category, allowing certain qualified individuals and their immediate families to gain permanent resident status based on specific investment criteria in U.S. enterprises.

Nonimmigrant Visas

Nonimmigrant visas cater to individuals visiting the U.S. for specific, temporary reasons like education, business trips, medical treatments, or vacations. Applicants must show strong ties to their home countries and an intention to return after their U.S. stay.

Asylum and Refugees

Beyond family and employment-based visas, the U.S. also offers entry on humanitarian grounds to those seeking protection from persecution in their home countries, either as refugees or asylees.

  • Refugee Status: This is for individuals outside their home country due to persecution or a genuine fear of persecution based on factors like race, religion, or political stance. The U.S. President sets an annual refugee intake limit.
  • Asylee Status: This applies to those already in the U.S. or arriving at a U.S. port of entry seeking protection. There’s no set limit on the number of asylees admitted annually.

After a year in the U.S., refugees should apply for legal permanent resident status. Asylees can opt to do so, but it’s not mandatory.

Another route to legal status is the Diversity Lottery, which randomly selects 50,000 foreign nationals annually for permanent resident status from countries with low U.S. immigration rates.

Consult with an Immigration Expert

For assistance in selecting the right visa type, application processes, or visa status changes, contact the trusted immigration attorney at Hanlon Law Group, P.C. For immediate assistance, call 866-227-5527.




English ◦ Spanish ◦ Mandarin ◦ Cantonese ◦ Vietnamese ◦ Tagalog


Contact the Experienced Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer at Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

The trusted Los Angeles immigration attorney at Hanlon Law Group, P.C. is waiting to speak to you, find out more about your immigration needs, and explain your options. Having handled countless professional visa applications for foreign professionals and U.S. employers, our lawyer has the experience and insight you can count on for exceptional service and representation.

Our experience, skills and dedication to our clients are backed by the following, which all of our clients can expect to receive:

Free & Confidential Initial Consultations

You don’t have to pay us anything to discover more about how we can help you and what you need to do to resolve your employment-based immigration needs.

Continuity of legal representation

The attorney at Hanlon Law Group, P.C. will oversee your case from start to finish. This can provide peace of mind that your case will not be passed off to a non-lawyer associate, or to someone who is not intimately familiar with your case.

State-Of-The-Art Case Management Technology

Our cutting-edge system facilitates the visa petition process, while providing clients with real-time case information about the status of their petition, PERM certifications, etc.

Personal Attention From Lawyers & Staff

We take pride in providing old-fashioned, personal service and promptly responding to our clients’ inquiries and immigration needs whenever they arise.

Flexible payment options

We accept all major credit cards. Payment plans may also be available.

Multilingual Immigration Services

We provide immigration services in various languages, including (but not necessarily limited to) Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog, and Fukienese.

Call (866) 227-5527 or email us via the contact form to learn more about our experience and services, as well as how we can help you.

Ready to talk?

Hanlon Law Group, P.C. is ready to help you with all your immigration & nationalization legal needs. Contact us now for the help you need & deserve.

Review Us On Google!

google reviews

Connect With Us!