Many immigrants diligently follow the correct procedures to obtain visas and legally enter the U.S. However, there are instances where visa fraud is committed for various reasons, such as:
- Anticipated visa denial through legitimate channels.
- Intentions to smuggle unauthorized immigrants into the U.S.
- Evading prosecution in their home country.
- Engaging in other illicit activities, like drug trafficking or terrorist activities.
Upon detection of visa fraud by the U.S. government, the accused individual will:
- Be notified of deportation.
- Undergo a deportation hearing to defend against visa fraud allegations.
- Face deportation if the immigration court’s decision is unfavorable.
- Possibly never secure a legitimate U.S. visa again.
Common Visa Fraud Methods
Visa fraud can manifest in several ways, including:
- Submitting forged or false documents during visa applications.
- Omitting crucial personal details that would render one ineligible for a visa. For instance, not disclosing past violent crime convictions is considered visa fraud.
- Illegally selling or transferring valid visas.
- Misrepresenting reasons for visa application, like falsely claiming student status to get a student visa.
- Altering visa documents.
U.S. immigration laws addressing visa fraud encompass:
- Fraud and misuse of visas – 18 USC 1546
- False statements for visa acquisition – 18 USC 1001
- ID fraud – 18 USC 1028
- Bribing officials for visas – 18 USC 201
- Conspiring against the U.S. – 18 USC 371.
Los Angeles, California Immigration Lawyer at Hanlon Law Group
At Hanlon Law Group, P.C., the Los Angeles immigration attorney boasts over 15 years of expertise in diverse immigration cases, ranging from straightforward applications to intricate federal court litigations. Leveraging state-of-the-art technology, the firm ensures efficient service delivery while maintaining a personal touch. This guarantees swift case progression and the assurance that your queries will be addressed promptly and transparently.
Discover more about our citizenship, immigration, and deportation defense services. Contact the Los Angeles immigration attorney today at (626) 765-4641 or (866) 489-7612. From our Pasadena office, we cater to clients in Los Angeles, throughout California, and globally.
Benefit from our free, confidential initial consultations, offering expert immigration law advice. We also provide multilingual immigration services, including Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog, and Fukienese.