Following the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling that section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional, same-sex spouses now have equal immigration benefits as opposite-sex couples.

This means that consular officials must treat same-sex marriages equally to opposite-sex marriages regarding derivative visas for employment, education, and other purposes. Similarly, stepchildren from same-sex marriages can qualify for derivative status visas, just like those from traditional marriages.

Below are answers to frequently asked questions about immigration for same-sex couples.

If you need personalized advice or have specific questions, don’t hesitate to contact an immigration attorney in Los Angeles at Hanlon Law Group, P.C. You can reach out by calling (800) 976-5675 or by sending us an email. Our attorney is skilled in assisting same-sex couples with their immigration concerns.

Do same-sex couples need to live in a state where same-sex marriage is legal to obtain a visa?

No. If the marriage is recognized as legal in their home country, same-sex couples are considered married by U.S. embassies and consular officers. They can choose to live anywhere in the U.S. once they receive a visa.

Are civil unions and same-sex marriages treated the same?

No. For immigration, a partner is recognized as a spouse only if the couple legally married in their native country.

Can engaged same-sex partners apply for a K-1 (fiancé) visa?

Yes. Engaged same-sex partners can apply for K-1 fiancé(e) visas, similar to opposite-sex couples, by submitting a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) to the USCIS. If all requirements are met, the foreign same-sex partner can use the K-1 visa to enter the U.S. and marry the U.S. citizen within 90 days of visa issuance.

How can a U.S. citizen married to a same-sex foreign national bring their spouse to the U.S.?

The process typically begins by submitting Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative to USCIS with the necessary documentation and fees. USCIS officials will then review the application for eligibility, possibly requesting additional documents, biometrics, or interviews.

Was my visa petition for my same-sex partner denied due to our relationship?

No, the nature of your relationship was not the cause of the visa petition denial. The denial letter should clarify the exact reasons for the rejection and provide options for an appeal. Common reasons for visa petition denials include failing to meet eligibility requirements, not providing necessary documentation, missing the interview, or presenting a national security risk.

If you’re unsure about the denial reasons or want to explore immigration options for a foreign same-sex partner, contact our Los Angeles immigration attorney at Hanlon Law Group. We’re dedicated to understanding legal changes and offering top-notch legal services throughout your case.

Need More Information? Contact Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

For more details about immigration for same-sex spouses and their children, reach out to a Los Angeles immigration attorney at Hanlon Law Group, P.C. Our attorney has over two decades of experience in resolving various immigration issues. We prioritize efficiency, effectiveness, and personalized service. Trust Hanlon Law Group to guide you through every step of your case. Call (800) 976-5675 or email us for a free and confidential consultation. We offer services in multiple languages, including Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog, and Fukienese.

From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients in Los Angeles, throughout California, and worldwide.




English ◦ Spanish ◦ Mandarin ◦ Cantonese ◦ Vietnamese ◦ Tagalog


Contact the Experienced Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer at Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

The trusted Los Angeles immigration attorney at Hanlon Law Group, P.C. is waiting to speak to you, find out more about your immigration needs, and explain your options. Having handled countless professional visa applications for foreign professionals and U.S. employers, our lawyer has the experience and insight you can count on for exceptional service and representation.

Our experience, skills and dedication to our clients are backed by the following, which all of our clients can expect to receive:

Free & Confidential Initial Consultations

You don’t have to pay us anything to discover more about how we can help you and what you need to do to resolve your employment-based immigration needs.

Continuity of legal representation

The attorney at Hanlon Law Group, P.C. will oversee your case from start to finish. This can provide peace of mind that your case will not be passed off to a non-lawyer associate, or to someone who is not intimately familiar with your case.

State-Of-The-Art Case Management Technology

Our cutting-edge system facilitates the visa petition process, while providing clients with real-time case information about the status of their petition, PERM certifications, etc.

Personal Attention From Lawyers & Staff

We take pride in providing old-fashioned, personal service and promptly responding to our clients’ inquiries and immigration needs whenever they arise.

Flexible payment options

We accept all major credit cards. Payment plans may also be available.

Multilingual Immigration Services

We provide immigration services in various languages, including (but not necessarily limited to) Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog, and Fukienese.

Call (866) 227-5527 or email us via the contact form to learn more about our experience and services, as well as how we can help you.

Ready to talk?

Hanlon Law Group, P.C. is ready to help you with all your immigration & nationalization legal needs. Contact us now for the help you need & deserve.

Review Us On Google!

Google Reviews Logo

Connect With Us!