Form I-601A, the Application for Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver, was introduced in March 2013 as a way for the immediate relatives of U.S. citizens to apply for provisional unlawful presence waivers before leaving the U.S. The intention behind this waiver process is to reduce the amount of time that citizens may be separated from their spouses, children and/or parents who have to leave the U.S. in an effort to obtain immigrant visas and become lawful permanent residents of the U.S.

Here are some common mistakes to avoid with your Form I-601A. You can also contact our Los Angeles immigration lawyers for help with this or any immigration matter

Here are some common mistakes to avoid with your Form I-601A. You can also contact our Los Angeles immigration lawyers for help with this or any immigration matter

As with many forms and processes for immigration status changes in the U.S., the Form I-601A and the process associated with completing it and filing it is not always straightforward. This could, in turn, lead to many applicants making some common mistakes and to USCIS officials:

  • Not being able to process a Form I-601A as quickly or efficiently as possible
  • Rejecting and/or returning these forms to applicants
  • Denying the application for the waiver entirely.

To help applicants not run into such problems, USCIS officials have outlined the top 5 common mistakes people make with their Form I-601A and how to avoid them. We’ll highlight these issues in this two-part blog. If you are preparing to file for this waiver or need any assistance with an immigration matter, contact a Los Angeles immigration lawyer at the Hanlon Law Group for superior assistance and representation.

Mistakes to Avoid with Form I-601A Waivers

Mistake 1 – Failing to Pay the Immigrant Visa Application Fee

Before filing a Form I-601A, the Immigrant Visa Application Fee must have already been paid to the Department of the State. This is essentially a processing fee that may also be referred to as the IV fee, and the amount of the fee will vary according to the specific type of visa a person is trying to obtain. It’s important to note, however, that these fees are typically nonrefundable (in other words, once they have been paid, people cannot get this money back).

Not paying this fee before filing a Form I-601A can result in unnecessary delays in the processing of this application.

Be sure to look for the upcoming second part of this blog for our continued discussion regarding common mistakes people make on their Form I-601A waivers and how to avoid them.

Los Angeles, California Immigration Lawyers at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

At the Hanlon Law Group, P.C., our Los Angeles immigration attorneys have more than 15 years of experience successfully representing clients in various types of immigration cases, including those that involve the most basic immigration applications to those associated with extremely complicated federal court litigation.

Contact Us

To learn more about our citizenship, immigration and deportation defense services contact our Los Angeles immigration attorneys today by calling (626) 765-4641 or (866) 489-7612 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the screen. From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.

We offer free, confidential initial consultations to provide potential clients with expert advice regarding their immigration law needs. Additionally, we are able to provide immigration legal services in various languages, including in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog and Fukienese.