Haiti’s designation for Temporary Protected Status was recently extended for 18 more months by Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson. This extension, which is effective as of January 23, 2016, effectively allows Haitian nationals to start re-registering for TPS status as of August 25th.

The re-registration period will last 60 days (i.e., through October 26th), and eligible nationals are encouraged to re-register as soon as possible, as applications are reviewed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on a first come, first serve basis.

Background on TPS for Haiti

immigrant protesters demanding protected status extension
immigrant protesters demanding protected status extension

In January 2010, Haiti was initially granted Temporary Protected Status following the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that wreaked havoc on the country. The devastation left behind by this natural disaster convinced U.S. federal authorities, including those at the Department of Homeland Security, that TPS should be granted to Haitian nationals.

To read more about some basic facts about TPS, click here.

More Important Info about the TPS Extension for Haitian Nationals

  • Term of extension – The 18-month extension for TPS for Haiti will effectively extend the designation through July 22, 2017.
  • Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) – Eligible Haitian nationals who apply for a new EAD during the re-registration period that is currently open can receive an EAD that expires on July 22, 2017. For those who still have a valid EAD, however, USCIS has noted that the new EAD may not be sent until the current valid one expires. Consequently, USCIS “is automatically extending current TPS Haiti EADs bearing a Jan. 22, 2016 expiration date for an additional six months. These existing EADs are now valid through July 22, 2016.”
  • How to re-register – Those who would like to re-register for TPS for Haiti can do so by completing the Form I-821, Application for TPS and submitting it to USCIS within the deadline noted above. Those who are re-registering will not have to pay the application fee upon submitting this completed form to USCIS.

Contact the Los Angeles Immigration Attorneys at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

Do you need help seeking TPS or resolving any immigration issues? If so, you can turn to the Los Angeles immigration attorneys at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C. For more than 15 years, our lawyers have been successfully representing clients in various types of immigration cases, including those that involve the most basic immigration applications to those associated with extremely complicated federal court litigation.

To learn more about our citizenship, immigration and deportation defense services contact us today by calling (626) 684-3712 or (866) 227-5527 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the screen. From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.

We offer free, confidential initial consultations to provide potential clients with expert advice regarding their immigration law needs. Additionally, we are able to provide immigration legal services in various languages, including in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog and Fukienese.