Picking up from where we left off in Immigration FAQs for Military Members and Their Families (Pt. 1), below we will continue to provide some more answers to common questions that arise when it comes to immigration issues that affect military members and their families.

Issues like deployment are unique to military members seeking immigration status changes. Check out these immigration FAQs or call us for more guidance with these issues.

Issues like deployment are unique to military members seeking immigration status changes. Check out these immigration FAQs or call us for more guidance with these issues.

More Immigration FAQs…

Q: When can I file my Form N-400 (Application for Naturalization) if I’m a military naturalization applicant?

A: When you can officially file your Form N-400 for U.S. citizenship will depend on whether you are applying for naturalization under:

  • Section 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) – This involves seeking naturalization through military service during periods of “hostility” any time after September 11, 2001. In this case, you can file your Form N-400 after completing one day of honorable active-duty service (or honorable service in the Selected Reserve). It may be possible to submit these applications during basic training.
  • Section 328 of the INA – This involves seeking naturalization through military service outside of periods of hostility. In these cases, people will have to wait until they have completed at least one year of honorable military service before filing their Applications for Naturalization.

Q: Can I complete my citizenship interview by video or satellite interview if I’m deployed when I receive my interview notice?

A: Unfortunately, this is not currently an option for military members. Instead, if you receive notice of an impending deployment and you know that you have a citizenship interview scheduled, then contact USCIS to see if arrangements can be made to conduct your citizenship interview prior to your deployment.

The USCIS Military Help Line is 1 (877) 247-4645. You are also encouraged to work with an experienced attorney who may be able to facilitate this process on your behalf.

Q: I am a military member currently in basic training. What should I do to apply for U.S. citizenship?

A: At some military installations, you may be able to take advantage of the Naturalization at Basic Training Initiative, which would allow you to do the following prior to your basic training graduation:

  • Submit your citizenship application and biometrics
  • Complete your citizenship interview
  • Be sworn in as a U.S. citizen by taking the Oath of Allegiance.

If the military installation where you are undergoing basic training does not offer this facilitated process, then you are advised by USCIS to complete the Form N-400 and the Form N-426 and mail them into the Nebraska Service Center.

In either case, working with an experienced immigration lawyer will be crucial to ensuring that your naturalization petition is processed as smoothly as possible – and that you get the approval you are seeking.

Don’t miss the upcoming conclusion of this blog for some more immigration FAQs for military members.

Los Angeles, California Immigration Lawyers at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

At the Hanlon Law Group, P.C., our Los Angeles immigration attorneys have more than 15 years of experience successfully representing clients in various types of immigration cases, including those that involve the most basic immigration applications to those associated with extremely complicated federal court litigation

Contact Us

To learn more about our citizenship, immigration and deportation defense services contact our Los Angeles immigration attorneys today by calling (626) 765-4641 or (866) 489-7612 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the screen. From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.