Military members and their families may have different processes to go through in order to obtain an adjustment of their immigration status (or to resolve other immigration-related issues). In this three-part blog, we will provide some answers to commonly asked questions from military members and their families.

If you are a military member seeking any status change, here are some immigration FAQs you should check out. Or call the Hanlon Law Firm for answers to all of your questions.

If you are a military member seeking any status change, here are some immigration FAQs you should check out. Or call the Hanlon Law Firm for answers to all of your questions.

If you are a member of the U.S. military or if you are related to a military member and are ready to receive more specific answers about your immigration issues, you are encouraged to contact a Los Angeles immigration attorney at the Hanlon Law Group.

Immigration FAQs

Q: I am a U.S. military member and would like to get permanent residence status for my spouse. What do I need to do?

A: Under the terms of the Immigration and Nationality Act, you will be required to file one of the following forms with the USCIS, along with the proper fees:

  • Form I-485, an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status; or
  • Form I-130, a Petition for Alien Relative.

There may also be biometrics fees (for fingerprinting and/or conducting background checks), depending on the specific applicant. While you can access and download these forms for free from the USCIS website, you can learn more about the steps you may need to take by consulting with an experienced immigration lawyer at the Hanlon Law Group.

Q: What are the next steps I should take after receiving an Approval Notice for my Form I-130?

A: The specific steps that you will need to take next in order to get your spouse or relative a visa will be outlined in the approval letter and will depend on the specifics of a given situation. Again, consulting with a skilled immigration lawyer is your best move for a clear explanation of what you need to do next.

Q: My military spouse is currently deployed, and I recently received an appointment notice for my Adjustment of Status interview. Will the interview take place even though my spouse is not present?

A: Yes. If your spouse who is in the U.S. military is deployed and you’ve received notice for your interview, the interview will still proceed at the stated USCIS office. To help the interview process proceed smoothly, it’s a good idea to bring the following with you to the interview:

  • A copy of the deployment orders.
  • A letter from your spouse’s commanding officer regarding the deployment.
  • Copies of any other documents that USCIS has specifically requested in the interview notice.
  • A lawyer to represent you.

Check out the upcoming second and third parts of this blog for some more immigration FAQs for members of the military and their families.

Los Angeles, California Immigration Lawyers at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

At the Hanlon Law Group, P.C., our Los Angeles immigration attorneys have more than 15 years of experience successfully representing clients in various types of immigration cases, including those that involve the most basic immigration applications to those associated with extremely complicated federal court litigation.

Our firm offers state-of-the art technology to deliver these services efficiently while also providing each of our clients with old-fashioned personal service. That means you can count on your case progressing as quickly as possible while feeling confident that your Hanlon Law Group lawyer will answer your questions quickly, clearly and honestly.

Contact Us

To learn more about our citizenship, immigration and deportation defense services contact our Los Angeles immigration attorneys today by calling (626) 765-4641 or (866) 489-7612 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the screen.

From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.