With Nepal recently having been designated for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) by Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, eligible nationals of Nepal can now apply for TPS that, if granted, would allow them to remain in the U.S. with the right to work here for the term of the designated period.

Here is how Nepal nationals can file for TPS with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Filing for TPS: An Overview of the Process

TPS for Nepal protesters
TPS for Nepal protesters

According to the Federal Register notice, here is what Nepal nationals need to do to apply for TPS:

  1. Complete the application for Temporary Protected Status, Form I-821, and submit it, along with the appropriate filing fee, to USCIS
  2. Complete the application for Employment Authorization, Form I-765, and submit it, along with the appropriate filing fee (only for applicants who are between 14 and 65 years old), to USCIS.

The Employment Authorization must be completed even if the applicant is not requesting to work in the U.S. for administrative purposes, according to the Federal Register.

Applying for TPS for Nepal: Some More Important Info

  • Both forms must be properly filled out and submitted at the same time. Failing to do this can result in processing delays and possibly even a denial of a TPS request.
  • Fee waivers may be available to those who qualify, and people can apply for a fee waiver by completing/submitting a Request for Fee Waiver, Form I-912, to USCIS.
  • All applicants who are 14 and older will have to go through biometrics as part of the process of getting TPS. This involves fingerprinting and background checks.
  • Initial filings for TPS for Nepal cannot be completed online. This means that the applications have to be sent in via mail to the appropriate address, which will be one of the following:
    • For applications sent via the U.S. Postal Service (USPS):USCIS, P.O. Box 7555
      Chicago, IL 60680
    • For applications sent via non-USPS services:

Attn: Nepal TPS, 131 S.
Dearborn 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603.

LA Immigration Lawyer at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

Do you need help with any immigration issues? If so, you can turn to the LA immigration lawyer at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C. For more than 15 years, our lawyers have been successfully representing clients in various types of immigration cases, including those that involve the most basic immigration applications to those associated with extremely complicated federal court litigation.

Our firm offers state-of-the art technology to deliver these services efficiently while also providing each of our clients with old-fashioned personal service. That means you can count on your case progressing as quickly as possible while feeling confident that your Hanlon Law Group lawyer will answer your questions quickly, clearly and honestly.

Call us at (866) 227-5527