Do you have questions about how to help your relative become a U.S. permanent resident? If so, we have answers. Read these FAQs, or simply contact us today.

Do you have questions about how to help your relative become a U.S. permanent resident? If so, we have answers. Read these FAQs, or simply contact us today.

When people have successfully obtained permanent residency in the U.S., they can use their status to help a relative become a U.S. permanent resident by:

  • Becoming a sponsor to their relative
  • Proving to the USCIS that they have sufficient assets or income to support this relative when (s)he comes to the U.S.
  • Completing a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, and submitting it to USCIS.

Because there can be a lot more involved in this process of helping a relative become a U.S. permanent resident, however, below and in a few upcoming parts of this blog series, we will answer some commonly asked questions about this process.

We want to point out that the answers and information provided in this blog series are general; however, you can easily get info pertaining to your situation by contacting the Hanlon Law Group today. Our Los Angeles immigration lawyers are dedicated to helping people resolve their various immigration issues as favorably and efficiently as possible.

Important Info about Helping a Relative Become a U.S. Permanent Resident

Q – Who can I file a petition for?

A – If you are already a U.S. permanent resident, you can file a petition for your spouse (i.e., your husband or wife) and your unmarried children to become U.S. permanent residents. While there is no age limit for unmarried children in these cases, if children are married, you must have your U.S. citizenship in order to file petitions on their behalf when it comes to obtaining permanent residency status in the U.S.

As part of the process of filing such petitions, you should be prepared to provide documentation – like marriage and/or birth certificates – to establish the relationship existing between you and the person for whom you are filing the petition.

Q – How can my petition for a relative help their case?

A – Once you’ve filed a Form I-130, proved your relationships with the relative at the center of the case and USCIS has approved this petition, then your relative’s case gets placed in queue with others who have similar petitions.

For instance, if your petition for your wife to become a U.S. permanent resident is accepted by USCIS, then your wife will be placed in line for a visa with other spouses whose applications have already been approved and who are from the same country (or region) as your spouse.

Here, it’s important to point out that:

  • Given the queue process associated with obtaining permanent residency in the U.S., the sooner your file the petition for your relative, the better, as this will place him or her further up in the queue.
  • Although there is minimal if any waiting time for immediate relatives, there are some wait times for children who are 21 years and older.
  • You can further help your relative’s position in the queue by pursuing naturalization on your own as your relative’s case is being processed.

We will continue responding to commonly asked questions regarding helping a relative become a U.S. permanent resident in two additional parts of this blog series that will be posted soon; make sure to look for them!

Los Angeles, California Immigration Lawyers at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

Do you or someone you love need help becoming a U.S. permanent resident? If so, don’t hesitate to contact the Los Angeles immigration attorneys at the Hanlon Law Group.

To learn more about our citizenship, immigration and deportation defense services contact our Los Angeles immigration attorneys today by calling (626) 765-4641 or (866) 489-7612 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the screen.

From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.