USA Visa application
USA Visa application

When applying for an immigration status change with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), applicants will generally have to pay a filing fee in order for their application to be reviewed and process.

With USCIS filing fees:

  • The amounts of the fees vary according to the specific status change being requested.
  • If the filing fees are not paid upon submitting an application to USCIS, the application will typically be rejected, and the applicant will have to resubmit the forms with the appropriate filing fees in order to have them processed.
  • Biometrics fees may be necessary on top of the standard filing fee (in order to cover the biometrics for background checks). When this is required, the additional fee will be $85 (on top of the filing fee).

The following table highlights some of the most common filing fees for USCIS services:

Requested Change (Form) Fee (+Biometrics?)*
Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker (I-129) $325 (N)
Petition for Alien Fiancé (I-129F) $340 (N)
Petition for Alien Relative (I-130) $420 (N)
Application for Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant (I-192) $585 (N)
Notice of Appeal (I-290B) $630 (N)
Application to Register Permanent Resident Status (I-485) $985 (Y)
Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status


$290 (N)
Application for Asylum or for Withholding Removal


$0 (N)
Application for Employment Authorization (I0765) $380 (N)
Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (I-751) $505 (Y)

*Y indicates that $85 should be added for biometrics, and N indicates that $85 does not need to generally be added for biometrics.

For the complete, up-to-date fee schedule for USCIS applications and services, click here.

USCIS Filing Fees: More Important Info

  • While the above listing filing fees were last updated in November 2010, they may be periodically updated again in the future. So, it’s best to check with USCIS when filing applications in order to be sure you have the most up-to-date filing fee information.
  • Fee waivers can be available for those who qualify. A separate form needs to be completed in order to request a fee waiver.

Contact a Los Angeles Immigration Attorney at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

Do you need help with any immigration issues? If so, you can turn to a Los Angeles immigration attorney at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C. For nearly two decades, our lawyers have been successfully representing clients in various types of immigration cases, including those that involve the most basic immigration applications to those associated with extremely complicated federal court litigation.

To learn more about our citizenship, immigration and deportation defense services contact us today by calling (626) 684-3712 or (866) 227-5527 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the screen. From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.

We offer free, confidential initial consultations to provide potential clients with expert advice regarding their immigration law needs. Additionally, we are able to provide immigration legal services in various languages, including in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog and Fukienese.