US Visa & Permanent Resident cards
US Visa & Permanent Resident cards

To obtain U.S. citizenship, non-citizens have to meet a number of specific eligibility requirements and then successfully complete the naturalization process. As with most rules, however, there are some exceptions and accommodations for U.S. citizenship that can come into play when unique or specific circumstances arise.

To highlight the nature of these accommodations, below, we have answered some of the most commonly asked questions about exceptions for U.S. citizenship requirements, according to information published by USCIS.

Q – What types of accommodations does USCIS offer?

A – For qualifying individuals, USCSI offers accommodations and exceptions for:

  • The English language requirement
  • The civic test requirement
  • Individuals living with certain physical and/or mental disabilities
  • The continuous residency requirement
  • The Oath of Allegiance requirement.

Q – When does the English language exemption apply?

A – USCIS offers exceptions to the English language requirement for citizenship for individuals who are:

  • At least 50 years old when filing for naturalization and who have lived in the U.S., as green card holders, for the past 20 years – This is commonly also known as the “50/20” exception.
  • At least 55 years old when filing for naturalization and who have lived in the U.S. for at least the past 15 years – This is commonly also known as the “55/15” exception.

It’s important to note that this exception does NOT relieve the above individuals of their duty to pass the civic test.

Q – When do the civics test exceptions apply?

A – Applicants who will generally be exempt from the civics test requirement (as well as the English language requirement) will typically be those who, as the USCIS explains, “are unable to comply with these requirements because of a physical or developmental disability or mental impairment.”

To establish eligibility for this exception, applicants will need to have a licensed physician or psychologist complete Form N-648 on their behalf.

Q – When do the continuous residence exceptions apply?

A – This exception for naturalization arises when professionals are involved in specific types of overseas work.

Q – Do I need a lawyer to help me verify that I qualify for certain exceptions or accommodations?

A – Yes, especially if you may be living with certain impairments or you are currently engaged in overseas work and you are serious about successfully naturalizing in the U.S. With a lawyer on your side, you can be confident that your application will experience minimal delays or complications (if any) and that your interests will be protected throughout the naturalization process.

Contact a Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

Do you need help with any immigration issues? If so, you can turn to a Los Angeles immigration lawyer at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

To learn more about our citizenship, immigration and deportation defense services contact us today by calling (626) 684-3712 or (866) 227-5527 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the screen. From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.