immigrant protesters demanding protected status extension
immigrant protesters demanding protected status extension

Foreign nationals from Nicaragua and Honduras are now eligible for extended deportation relief in the U.S., as U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security – Jeh Johnson – has recently extended the Temporary Protected Status (TPS) designation for these individuals.

The 18-month extension will reportedly run through July 5, 2018. In addition to being available for Nicaraguans and Hondurans, this TPS designation is also available for foreigners who have no nationality and were last residing in Nicaragua or Honduras (prior to coming to the U.S.).

How to Re-Register for TPS Relief

To obtain TPS relief and enjoy an extended stay in the U.S. free from the possibility of deportation, here is what eligible individuals need to do:

  • Fill out and submit Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status to USCIS within the provided deadlines. When submitting this form, people applying for TPS for the first time will also need to pay the required filing fees (re-registrants, however, will not have to pay fees to file for an extension of their TPS).
  • Fill out and submit form Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization to USCIS. This is a required part of the application process, regardless of whether the applicant wants an EAD/plans to work in the U.S.
  • Submit to biometrics (the in-depth background check process) and pay the required fees. This is mandatory for anyone over the age of 14 who is applying for TPS relief.

TPS Beneficiaries & Work Authorization

TPS beneficiaries from Honduras and Nicaragua can also apply to get work authorization here during the extension period by filling out an Employment Authorization Document. According to USCIS officials:

  • People seeking work authorization should receive an EAD that is valid through Jan. 5, 2018.
  • Applicants who already possess a valid EAD work permit will not need to worry about this document expiring because the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will be automatically extending these EADs for at least six months.

Given that filing for TPS – or requesting any immigration status change in the U.S. – can be a complicated process, it’s strongly advised that you consult with an experienced attorney who can help you:

  • Properly complete the necessary forms.
  • Compile any and all necessary supporting documentation.
  • Submit the forms in a timely manner.
  • Determine your other options for deportation relief if you miss the TPS extension deadline or are ineligible for TPS for any reason.

Contact a Los Angeles Immigration Attorney at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

Do you need help resolving any immigration issues? If so, contact to a Los Angeles immigration attorney at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C. today for effective representation and experienced help. For nearly 20 years, our lawyers have been helping people resolve various immigration legal issues.

Call us today at (626) 684-3712 or (866) 227-5527 or send us an email via the contact form on this page to find out more about our services and how we can assist you.

From our offices based in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.