Picking up from Asylum FAQs (Part 1), below is some more important information regarding the process of applying for asylum in the U.S. If you are ready to get your case started or are seeking any change to your immigration status in the U.S., contact the Hanlon Law Group. We can provide you with the highest quality of immigration legal services so that you secure the best possible outcomes to your important immigration matters.

These asylum FAQs highlight some important information about applying for asylum in the U.S. For more info, contact the Hanlon Law Group.

These asylum FAQs highlight some important information about applying for asylum in the U.S. For more info, contact the Hanlon Law Group.

Q: How is the determination made that a person qualifies for asylum?

A: In general, eligibility for asylum is determined by an immigration judge or an asylum officer. These officials typically decide if a person qualifies for asylum by evaluating whether or not that individual meets the definition of a refugee (i.e., someone who cannot return to his or her home country due persecution or the fear of persecution based on his or her race, religion, political views, etc.).

If a person is considered to be a refugee, then the official presiding over the case will then determine whether there may be any factors that could prevent the applicant from being granted asylum. Such bars to asylum could include (but are not limited to):

  • Having participated in the persecution of others (based on others’ race, religion, political views, etc.)
  • Posing a threat to U.S. security
  • Having been convicted of certain crimes (such as violent crimes or certain felony crimes)
  • Having a history of living in another country without fear of persecution.

Q: How much does it cost to apply for asylum?

A: The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) does not charge any fees to apply for asylum. However, if you work with a lawyer to expedite your case, you may have some attorneys’ fees.

Q: What should I do to apply for asylum?

A: To get your asylum case started with the USCIS, you need to file a Form I-589 (Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal). While you can try to pursue your case on your own, you will have the best chances of being granted asylum if you work with an experienced immigration lawyer like those at the Hanlon Law Group.

The upcoming third part of this blog includes some final asylum FAQs that highlight some additional important information about this sought-after immigration status. Be sure to check it out!

Los Angeles, California Immigration Lawyers at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

If you are ready to apply for asylum or need help with other immigration matters, you can trust your case to the Los Angeles immigration attorneys at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C. For more than 15 years, our lawyers have been successfully representing clients in various types of immigration cases, including those that involve the most basic immigration applications to those associated with extremely complicated federal court litigation.


Our firm offers state-of-the art technology to deliver these services efficiently while also providing each of our clients with old-fashioned personal service. That means you can count on your case progressing as quickly as possible while feeling confident that your Hanlon Law Group lawyer will answer your questions quickly, clearly and honestly.

Contact Us for a Professional Case Evaluation

To learn more about our citizenship, immigration and deportation defense services contact our Los Angeles immigration attorneys today by calling (626) 765-4641 or (866) 489-7612 or by emailing us using the form at the upper right-hand side of the screen.

From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.

We offer free, confidential initial consultations to provide potential clients with expert advice regarding their immigration law needs. Additionally, we are able to provide immigration legal services in various languages, including in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog and Fukienese.