When people who don’t have permanent resident status in the U.S. need to travel abroad, obtaining advance parole will be crucial to ensuring that they are able to re-enter the U.S. with minimal hassle.

However, because many people don’t apply for advance parole often – and because the process of obtaining advance parole can be complicated and obtuse, in this three-part blog, we will answers some frequently asked questions about advance parole.

Keep in mind that the information provided in this blog series is general in nature and that you can easily obtain more specific info about advance parole (or any immigration issue with which you are dealing) by contacting the Los Angeles immigration lawyers at the Hanlon Law Group.

Answers to Some Common Questions about Advance Parole…

Are you wondering whether applying for an advance parole is necessary for your situation? Check out these FAQs for answers. Or simply call the Hanlon Law Group.

Are you wondering whether applying for an advance parole is necessary for your situation? Check out these FAQs for answers. Or simply call the Hanlon Law Group.

Q: What is advance parole?

A: Advance parole is a specific type of immigration document that can effectively permit someone to come back to the U.S. (after traveling abroad) when they don’t have a visa. In general, when a person who doesn’t have a valid visa leaves the U.S. to travel internationally, that individual will NOT be allowed to come back into the U.S. unless (s)he has a valid visa when trying to re-enter the country.

However, if that individual applies for and is granted advance parole before his travels, then (s)he will not have to worry about having a visa when (s)he is ready to come back to the U.S.

Q: When would I need an advance parole?

A: People who want to travel internationally will typically benefit from applying for advance parole if they:

  • Are waiting for their applications to adjust their immigration statuses to be processed
  • Have been granted refugee status or asylum by the USCIS or have applications for asylum currently pending with USCIS
  • Have received Temporary Protected Status
  • Have been granted benefits under the Family Unity Program.

For some more answers to frequently asked questions about advance parole, don’t miss the second and third parts of this blog that will be posted soon!

Los Angeles, California Immigration Lawyers at the Hanlon Law Group, P.C.

At the Hanlon Law Group, P.C., our Los Angeles immigration attorneys have been providing our clients with the highest quality of legal services for more than 15 years.

Our firm offers state-of-the art technology to deliver these services efficiently while also providing each of our clients with old-fashioned personal service. That means you can count on your case progressing as quickly as possible while feeling confident that your Hanlon Law Group lawyer will answer your questions quickly, clearly and honestly.

Contact Us

To learn more about our various immigration services, call (626) 765-4641 or (866) 489-7612 or email us using the contact form at the upper right-hand side of the screen. From our office in Pasadena, we serve clients throughout the Los Angeles area, across the state of California and from around the world.

We offer free, confidential initial consultations to provide potential clients with expert advice regarding their immigration law needs. Additionally, we are able to provide immigration legal services in various languages, including in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Tagalog and Fukienese.